Friday, November 2, 2007

First Impressions

Day one in Zambia has come and gone, most of it in recovery from the flights, which were long and uneventful. And fortunately, my luggage arrived with me, so I am now settled and nested at St. Ignatius parish in Lusaka. Jim McGloin, SJ met me on arrival and another Slovenian Jesuit who was on the same flight. We stopped by the novitiate on the way to St. Ignatius and I was able to see Joe Danel, SJ and Peter Titland, SJ. I will return to the novitiate for the province retreat in December.

The welcome at the parish could not be more hospitable. I am settled in my room on the second floor of the residence, which adjoins the Church. The room is comfortable and clean and has all that I need, including good screens on the windows. There are about six or seven living in the community with some coming and going all the time. I know that I will learn from these men, for they have years of experience in Zambia and fortunately several are native Zambians.

I attended two Masses in the parish. They have two daily Masses (6:30 am and 5:30 pm) and they get a good crowd with spirited singing. I will test the water this coming Sunday at the 5:30 pm evening Mass. They celebrate six Masses on the weekend. I am impressed with the lay participation and the sense of joy that I experienced in the celebration. The morning Masses have many religious women, as many of the religious view St. Ignatius as a home parish.

I will help out in the parish as needed and also become involved with the work of the Ignatian Spirituality Center. The Center is starting the Spritual Exercises in Everyday Life this coming Sunday, so I may have an opportunity to observe. I realize that the quality time will be in being and not so much in the doing. I am yet to be connected with my own computer, but once I am, I should have Skype and some of the other contact opportunities.

1 comment:

Ron Bromfield said...

Good Morning Father Tony,my wife and I are parishioners at Sacred Heart in Bellevue and are thrilled that you have an opportunity to make this journey. Although we hope you get an opportunity to rest and have some peace as you focus on "being", we hope that you will have an opportunity to communicate your remarkable insights into inner life as a Catholic. In Christ's name, Ron and Valerie Bromfield