Monday, November 5, 2007

Firsts

This is a picture of a Flamboyant Tree that I view from my room. I face toward the parish parking lot. On the other side of the residence is a yard and garden. I haven't done much exploring yet, but hope to do so in the next day or so.

The parish has a large complex which includes the Church, the parish offices, some staff residences and a hall. We are one of the few places that does not have a full-time security guard, but that is due to the quality of the staff that work for the chuch and the community.

I had the opportunity to say the 1730 Sunday Mass. I am very impressed with the activity of the parish. Six Masses on the weekend, four with their own choirs, one Mass in Bemba, and a children's service twice a month. And then to top it they also had two weddings and a funeral. All of the Masses are nearly packed, the music is remarkable (separate choirs) and people participate and are very active in the parish life.

Did some shopping today with one of the scholastics. We got most of the items at two large supermarkets that resemble QFC or one of the major chains in the US. We did the fruit and vegetable shopping: melons, oranges, papayas, pineapples, kiwi, cabbage, and the like. The only thing that made it different than a trip to the Broadway Market were the greens, which we picked up at a local market.

We had the first rain today, so it has cooled off a little. I am adjusting to the metric system, so the degrees get translated, the miles become meters, and even the kawache (money system) has to be converted. It is part of the challenge.

It would be difficult to imagine a warmer welcome (person in addition to heat). I really enjoy the Jesuits and I am looking forward to meeting others. I have got myself on Skype and that makes it very convenient for the telephone calls. Ten hour difference nows from Zambia to Seattle. Prayers are with you all.

2 comments:

Harry W said...

Dear Father Tony:
We are two Sacred Heart parishioners who enjoyed your monthly appearances in Bellevue.
We wanted you to be aware of the presence in Kenya of our good friend, Father Callisto Locheng. Father Callisto runs a seminary there and travels frequently to Uganda and, on occasion, to the Sudan.
Africa is a large continent and your paths may not cross, but I am sure that Fr. Callisto would love to hear from you. His e-mail address is:
callos812@yahoo.co.uk
We met him in Hong Kong some years ago after he had a study period in Rome. We have the utmost respect for him.
Hope you are well and are enjoying your tenure in Zambia.
Best regards, Harry & Ervina Wilkinson

Tony Harris, SJ said...

Thanks. I do not know if I will be travelling to Uganada. In addition to the Zambia/Malawai province there is an
East Africa Province which would include Uganda. If I do meet him, I will let you know. Thanks. Tony