Saturday, December 1, 2007

One Month in Zambia


Hard to believe that it is December 1. I read of snow in the Northwest and then I realize that I am south of the equator, in Zambia. As we enter into the season of hope, I am grateful for the experience that I am enjoying. It is hard to believe that I have been here a month.

Last evening we had a community discussion in preparation for the General Congregation on the theme of Jesuit community life. I am fortunate to live in a happy, hospitable and grateful community of companions and friends; and I am also fortunate to have come from the same in Seattle. The men talked about the hope that they have in the young Zambians who are assuming the responsibility of leadership in community and in the apostolate. It is a hopeful time.

This weekend is very full. I am doing the end of the year Mass for the young people who have participated in the Saturday catechetical program. Later in the day, there is a wedding, a funeral of a parishioner who was also the President’s cardiologist (so the President will be here), practice for first communions (tomorrow) and a memorial Mass. And that is all before the Advent Masses begin.

Last week I had a chance to visit the Cathedral on the Child Jesus. It is a modern facility located in Pope Square. The square contains the Cathedral and all the chancery offices. I attached a picture of the copper doors on the front of the Cathedral

No comments: