Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Zambia


I depart Seattle on October 30 for a three months in Zambia as part of my sabbatical. I will be living and working at St. Ignatius parish in downtown Lusaka. Lusaka, with a population of approximately 1 million, is the capital of the country.

The country is nearly the size of Texas with a population of 11.5 million people. There are over 70 ethnic groups with their own languages; however, English is the official language of the country. Zambia considers itself to be a Christian nation, reflecting the presence of Christian missionaries since the 19th century. In addition, there are Hindu, Moslems and adherents to indigenous religions.

The Jesuits have been in Zambia for over 100 years. In the 1960's the Oregon Province established a relationship with Zambia and a seven men from the Northwest serve in Zambia. There are approximately 100 Jesuits living and working in the Zambia-Malawi province. In Lusaka the Jesuits have two parishes, a Center for Theological Reflection, novitiate, and provincial offices.

1 comment:

Margaret Willis said...

Hi Tony,

Zambia sounds exciting! I am sure you will enjoy living and learning the culture of the Zambian people.

I just sent a longer note on your blog but realized I wasn't signed in yet. If for some reason you received it, I don't want to bore you more of the same, so I will wait a few days before I write again.

Please share your experiences with us, as we are very excited about what you are dong.

God bless!
Margy Willis